13/11/2010

Missing a Man U Match !!!

Saturday November 13
Titchwell on a sunny, blue sky, cool, early winter day, lovely. The near gale force winds of the last few days had dropped but the water levels were still disappointingly high. Fen Trail with no sign of the long staying Pallas' Warbler - it wasn't seen all day - one Goldcrest the reward for our limping (me) effort.
There are several new seats, all placed on the side of the path nearest to the reserve - at last. We sat on one before Island Hide, quietly scanning the expanse of water with distant ducks. As I reached the tufted -grass island behind Island Hide, I caught a pair of wings rising from the undergrowth. Then, I saw the white patches as an adult Great Skua rose and flew directly towards us and almost over our heads. I was so awe-struck that I forgot I'd got my Canon Ixus in my pocket. Later, when I tried to photograph the impressive new Parrinder Hide (s), I found both the battery in my camera and the spare were flat. That's the first time ever.......
I was able to admire and scope the Skua again on the return journey. It flew in from the landward side, settling on the Freshwater pool.
We tried again for the Pallas's, still no sign. Several Redpoll around the Centre's feeder area, we only saw a dead Little Auk in a box. A couple had found it at Snettisham and brought it to be identified.
Brancaster Staithe on a falling tide whilst Pam ate her sandwich, then, off to Burnham Marshes, more in hope than certainty. We had to drive past as there was no car parking room, turning round, we were lucky to find one roadside. Almost immediately, Pam spotted a Rough-legged Buzzard sat on top of a Hawthorn before flying off towards Holkham. A small flock of Barnacle Geese amongst the Pinkfeet were added to the month list before we drove to Wells and a Black Brant on the putting green. Not a 'good' one, probably a hybrid.
Man U drew - again - at Aston Villa.

No comments:

Post a Comment