29/04/2010

An Auspicious Outing

With much preparation to complete before we leave for Scotland early to-morrow, we set off for Winterton South Dunes. A Lesser Whitethroat showed well in the bushes as we entered the dunes, a Common nearby. I don't think any bird warrants the forename of Common.... So warm and sunny, the pleasant walk was rewarded with very good scope views of a Woodchat Shrike in bright plumage. I had another go at digiscoping.......must do better !

Just as rewarding was a spanking new male Whinchat.
There was a small group of birders parked at the sharp bend just past Brograve Farm. With rumours of a Tawny Pipit, we parked on the field verge before walking to join them. Just as I got there, I turned my ankle in an unseen pothole and fell full length, most of the weight on my right knee and left elbow. I find it most humiliating to fall in public. John Geeson said ' when you're ready, I've got a ringtail Monty's here'. That brought me staggering to my feet for distant hazy scope views. Just as well it had been identified by a reputable birder.
Inspection of injuries showed a grazed, bruised and cut right knee, soon covered in Savlon. By the time I got home and out of the car it became obvious that my left ankle was very painful and swollen too... I didn't know which leg to limp with ! It's now had the cold/hot treatment and an elastic bandage applied, fingers crossed for some mobility to plant tomatoes and pack the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment