20/01/2010

A Day in Norwich

Tuesday January 19
Despite the morning fog - again - we drove to Whitlingham Country Park on the outskirts of Norwich. Recent weather has made the track even more pot-holed and muddy. The juvenile Great Northern Diver was visible nearby on the Great Broad and, I could just about see murky waterfowl shapes the far side of the water. Scoping from the car, I paused to wipe what I thought was condensation from the eye-piece. The fog had rolled in making viewing impossible. Time to see Bridget and Aileen for a drink and a catch up before Pam's physio appointment and my eye clinic check-up.
We left the N and N hospital at 2.15 in good light, deciding to have another go at Whitlingham despite my eyes being full of anaesthetic and pupil dilator - they then water in daylight. A helpful man who appeared to know us well (!!?) pointed out the Red-necked Grebe just as I found the Slav the first time I looked through my scope. A male Goosander showed well in the same view, a good trio. We were soon joined by Dot and Brenda, catching up on the news whilst continuing to scan the far shore - and wiping my eyes. The Scaup was found first followed by the female Smew. Full house, great. Good month additions were Pochard and Great Crested Grebe.Year total now 96.
PS The latest pager message reports the Scaup as 'an aythya hybrid'. I thought it was a funny looking beast but put it down to an unfamiliar winter plumage. Good birder eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment